Monday, September 12, 2011

Past: a Good Place to Visit, but Definitely Not to Stay

On the morning of my first day of 7th grade I was in the school bus when a boy I’ve never seen before got in it seven houses after me, carrying his backpack just in one shoulder, big tennis, and his boxers showing off of his pants. He was not that tall, had dark skin, brown eyes, semi-curly hair, and a perfectly-shaped nose. He caught my eye just because I lived far from school and nobody going to it had ever lived in my neighborhood before, so I looked at him for a few seconds and turned my way. That afternoon when we where going back to our houses, he interrupted when I was talking with a friend to ask my name, I just answered him without asking back for his name and continue speaking to my friend without putting him anymore attention. The next morning he said "hi Ale" to what I could only answer "hi" since I had no idea of his name, that made me feel a little annoying so that afternoon I asked my friend for his name, it was Luis.

As the days passed, Luis and I became good friends, even though at times he teased me too much that I got mad at him. We ended up being such good friends that my friend who always sat and talked with me in the bus began to tell me that I was replacing him. Luis always told me his stories and I told him mine, the only thing that I felt a little bit uncomfortable to talk with him was about boys because he always ended up bothering me with his bad jokes, but we almost never ran out of things to talk about. Sometimes he gifted me nerds with no reason, just because he knew I loved those candies. Occasionally, he cooked brownies and kept pieces for me to try them and tell him how they tasted. I also remember that one day when he got into the bus, I smelled his lotion and I liked it so I bothered him telling that he should use it more often, since that day I felt the same scent almost every morning when he sat next to me in the mornings.

On August we had to move to different neighborhoods. We stopped talking like we used to because we were not riding the same bus anymore, but every time we found the opportunity to talk it was as if we were having the same good friendship as before. He kept calling me whenever he could and we still kept track of what was going on in our lives. He still teased me with all he found to annoy me as much as before.

Suddenly one-day, Luis’ friends began to ask me if there was something going on between us or if I liked him. They bothered saying that one day we would end up together. I had never thought of him as more than just a friend until those questions became more frequent. I began to wonder if he was looking for something more than friendship with me and that was the reason for the candies from him that appeared in my locker, the long night calls, and the reason why he behaved so gentlemanly and nice with me. Although I saw him as a good guy, he was definitely not my type and I didn’t imagined myself dating him, neither in a relationship with him.  My friends and his friends always told me all the good things about him and tried to convince me of how a great boyfriend he would be, how cute we would be together, and how happy he wanted to make me, but I was still thinking he was not my type.

One day he told me how much he liked me and asked me if I would give him a shot, my answer was no. After that, vacations started and the way he behaved with me changed since I rejected him but we were still being friends. I found myself missing the way he treated me before he confessed his feelings for me, I wished he had never said anything about how he felt, that way everything would continue as it was once. He began to tell me about a girl he met and that he was starting to like, that made me start to feel jealous and that was the day I realized that I had not made the right decision and I did want to give it a try and begin to date him, I am thankful that it was still not too late because it has been one of the best decisions that I've taken so far. He was my first boyfriend; he gave me my first kiss. After a year and a half of being together, it all turned out to be completely the opposite of what I thought it would be. It was all so different than when we started that even the same people who once tried to convince me to give him a try, treated to convince me to leave him later on. But even though it was not the fairytale I wanted at all, our relationship and he taught me so many things that are getting so helpful on my life nowadays. And the only thing I regret about it is how badly we ended and how I just don’t talk anymore to a person that means so much to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment